Tuesday, March 13, 2012

We Need to Take Hard Look At Our Soft-on-Crime Policies

Justice for the victim has been lost. Criminals are givenprotection by lawyers that they do not have to pay. Then theyare released after living in a free hotel (so-called prisons) forshort times, with free meals and drugs, too. I am particularlydisturbed by sexual criminals; rapists, child abusers, etc. Thisnew case in Sonora, Calif., points up the frustrations of child andmother relating to a child molester who threatened the boy with deathto his mother. I strongly recommend 20 lashes for rapists,sexual molesters, etc. It's done in foreign countries. It works.Our system does not. Laura S. Clark, Greater Grand Crossing I read the story about the woman (Ellie Nesler) in California whoshot to death the man accused of sexually molesting her son on theday after I saw the "60 Minutes" program about the early releaseprograms in our prison system that are letting murderers and allother types of criminals out after serving only a small fraction oftheir sentences ("Killer Mom Was Pushed Too Far, Her Family Says,"news story, April 12). I never thought I would say somethinglike this - and perhaps it's caused by the juxtaposition of these twostories in my mind - but "good for Ellie Nesler!" I'm notadvocating that we all become vigilantes. However, I can understandthe pain and frustration this mother must have felt when she sawwhat the accused had done to her son and when Ellie Nesler shecontemplated what would be done (or not done) to this criminal.

Perhaps California taxpayers should thank Nesler for saving themthe cost of housing and caring for this offender during a prison term- and for removing the threat of his early release and subsequentreturn to a life of crime. I'm sure she believes that she was merelyprotecting her child, and I can understand why she would not trustthe "system" to do this for her. Susan Casey, Des Plaines

Can it be that the so-called "bleeding hearts" are againstcapital punishment not out of true concern for the criminals butbecause of their own selfish motives? I think so.

I think that "soft on crime" people are, from birth, incapableof accepting either blame or punishment for their misdeeds. Theylive their lives in an unreasoning terror of any form of chastisementwhatsoever - and, God forbid, Death Row!

Their solution is to take a "nuts to the victim" stance, thusputting everyone else's safety and lives in jeopardy. Paul St. Leger, Crestwood

No comments:

Post a Comment